Claiming a Lottery Prize
The method of claiming National Lottery prizes depends on how you purchased your ticket; whether at a retailer or online. The value of the prize also dictates how you can get hold of your winnings.
Here are the steps you need to take to claim Lotto, EuroMillions, Thunderball or Lotto HotPicks prizes. See the dedicated page if you want to find out how to claim a Health Lottery prize.
I Purchased My Ticket Online
Here are the methods for claiming online National Lottery prizes:
- Up to £500 – A win of up to £500 will be paid directly into your National Lottery account shortly after the draw takes place. Players can then choose to transfer funds into their bank account or use them to fund future ticket purchases.
- £501 up to £30,000 – You will need to confirm during the 180 day claim period that the prize should be transferred into your bank account via the debit card associated with your online National Lottery account.
- Over £30,001 up to £50,000 – Claims must be made by contacting the National Lottery Customer Care Team on 0845 278 8000. Please have your ticket or play number and account details to hand.
- Over £50,001 – Please contact the National Lottery Customer Care Team on 0845 278 8000 to arrange for your prize to be processed in person.
- Direct Debit – If you buy lottery tickets online through Direct Debit and win a prize up to and including £50,000, the prize money will be transferred directly to your bank account or, where appropriate, a cheque will be issued. For more information visit the Direct Debit page.
I Purchased My Ticket from a Retailer
If you have bought physical tickets, this is how you claim:
- Up to £100 – You can claim a prize of up to £100 at any authorised National Lottery retailer.
- £101 - £500 – A win of between £101 and £500 can be claimed from any authorised National Lottery retailer providing they have sufficient funds available. If your ticket has been validated but the store does not have sufficient funds, you will have to return to the store at a later date to collect your prize. Alternatively you can visit a National Lottery-affiliated Post Office to claim your prize. If your ticket has not been officially validated, you can visit another different National Lottery retailer and see if they have sufficient funds.
- £501 - £50,000 – Prizes of this value can be claimed at a National Lottery affiliated Post Office or by sending your winning ticket, along with a completed claim form, to:
The National Lottery
PO Box 287
The claim form is simple to complete. You just need to provide a few personal details – name, address and contact number. Select whether you wish the payment to be made by CHAPS or cheque, and provide the relevant banking information.
You must give your consent for the retailer which sold your winning ticket to be notified – which in no way impacts on your own right to anonymity. You will also need a witness to sign your claim form.
The National Lottery does not accept any responsibility for tickets that are lost in the post. Any player who wishes to claim via post is advised to use some form of recorded delivery.
- Over £50,000 – If you have won a prize worth more than £50,000 you must contact the National Lottery directly to arrange for an appropriate method of collection. Call 0845 910 0000 for more help on how to claim.