Lotto Creates 2000 Millionaires
Last Updated: Tuesday 12th December 2006, 10:18 am
Lotto, the UK National Lottery game organised by Camelot, has created 2000 millionaires since it was launched in 1994. The company marked the occasion by bringing together the largest ever group of millionaire winners - the 120 people gathered being worth more than £400 million between them.
At the same time, new research has been released into the lives of lottery winners. The Ipos MORI survey revealed that:
- A lottery win made 22% of winners feel younger.
- 19% of lottery winners lost weight after their win.
- 96% of winners reported feeling as happy or happier than they did before winning.
- 99% of winners gave part of their jackpot to family members.
- 91% gave to charity, and 76% to friends.
- 17% of National Lottery millionaires paid off five or more mortgages.
- 15% of winners have created one or more millionaires since the win.
A National Lottery spokesperson said: "The National Lottery has created millionaires from all walks of life and from all four corners of the UK - to have reached a monumental 2,000 millionaires in only 12 years proves just how much the nation has taken the lottery to its heart.
"It isn't just about these 2,000 lucky people though - with over £19 billion raised for Good Causes, transforming millions of lives in communities the length and breath of the UK, everyone across the UK is a winner on the lottery."
The Ipos MORI survey also gave a revealing insight into how lottery winners spend their millions. Houses, cars and caravans dominate the shopping lists of winners, and holidays are also right up there, with Dubai and the USA being particularly popular destinations. And what kind of cars can you expect a Lotto winner to be driving? BMWs, Land Rovers and Range Rovers are the top three choices.
With 2000 millionaires created over the last 12 years, it is not unreasonable to think that the next decade will bring some Lotto millionaire magic to a thousand or two more. And who knows... it could be you!
Friday 9th December 2016
Wednesday 7th December 2016