Camelot Takes Legal Action Over National Lottery Licence
Last Updated: Tuesday 5th April 2022, 11:09
National Lottery operator Camelot has filed a High Court claim against the Gambling Commission following the decision to give the next licence to rival bidder Allwyn.
The competition to run the National Lottery from 2024 came down to four final applicants - Camelot, Allwyn, Sisal and The New Lottery Company Ltd. The Gambling Commission praised the strong field of candidates, but named Czech-owned Allwyn as its preferred option in a statement announced last month.
Camelot has now taken legal action, arguing that the process behind such a large Giovernment-sponsored procurement deserves independent scrutiny. Nigel Railton, chief executive of Camelot, said he ‘firmly believes the Gambling Commission has got this decision badly wrong’.
The Gambling Commission countered by saying the selection of Allwyn as its preferred applicant followed a ‘fair, open and robust competition’.
A statement said: “We regret Camelot’s decision to bring legal proceedings following the outcome of a highly successful competition for the fourth National Lottery licence.
“The competition and our evaluation have been carried out fairly and lawfully in accordance with our statutory duties, and we are confident that a court would come to that conclusion.”
The Gambling Commission’s focus will remain on ensuring a seamless and timely transition to the next licence.
Camelot, named as the Gambling Commission’s ‘reserve applicant’, has served as the operator of the National Lottery since it was launched in 1994. This is the fourth licence to have been granted in that time, and Allwyn has said its appointment will ‘breathe fresh life into the National Lottery.